English | French
FSF France and APRIL meeting
In the overheated city of Paris we met to summarize
shortly all actions that are planned in the months to come.
There is no doubt that a large part of this report is not
understandable for people who are not heavily involved in
APRIL and/or FSF France. However, they were included for the
record and everybody is welcome to ask for more information in
either APRIL or FSF France mailing
Sbi (Sebastien Blondeel) is going to Hungaria from 20
to 30 August to attend the annual meeting of
http://www.ceenet.org/. He is going to be in mission for
the FSF Europe and APRIL. He will be given goodies,
He will also meet with a GNOME developer (Shooby Ban
(email@example.com)) who may be interested to be involved with
a Free Software organization in his country.
The CEENET meeting is largely attended by universities, even
if large companies are present. It is financed by OTAN and Cisco
in a very modern hotel with Internet in each room. The people who
attend come from every eastern countries. The population knows
computer science and occupy positions that are sometime important.
There is no guarantee that these persons know anything about
GNU and Free Software.
Loic suggests that he takes as many contact of people
interested by Free Software and likely to get involved in
- Stickers Dynamic Duo
- FSF Flyer
- APRIL flyer
- 1 or 2 t-shirt to give away
- 1 or 2 tux
- Anonymous business cards
The 22nd Université d'Eté
de la Communication (Summer School of the Communication) in
Hourtin, near Bordeaux (20th to 24th August), August 22, with
one conference about Free Software. Fred and Loïc are supposed
to go together, waiting for confirmation. Fred speaks during
the Free Software conference on Wednesday and will stay the
day after. Loïc will only stay one day.
The Forum du libre conference is organized by the Benchmark
group in September. Loic will speak at a round table. Invitations
were requested, no answer at present.
Launching a special day for cryptography : applying to
DCSSI (French authority) for OpenSSH and GnuPG. Meeting on
Thursday 26th of July.
project manager. At Hourtin cyberbases will be presented on
Thursday. Fred will be there.
was created. Who is the project manager ? Joris Van Der
Sent the article about Free Software from Transfert. Ask a
periodic status report to Nicole and Gilles
Veillon. For the time being one package was sent two weeks
ago to the FSF with two articles (newspaper from france and
APRIL list : analyze the report and massively inform deputies
by sending mail or even better individual letters. We encourage
the initiative and hope someone will lead the effort.
Olivier proposes that each person goes to the deputy with
a file prepared for this purpose.
Fred suggests sending a call about patents (not only
software patents) co-signed by some organizations (Act Up,
ATTAC, OGM ...), some deputies/senators and to propose it to
the newspapers Linux Loader, Login, Libé, Le Monde, Politis...
Marc Aurèle Darche came to us so that we contribute to the
FAQ that he is writing. We
contributed to the content mainly to improve the things related to
Free Software. Even though the Open Source aspect of the document
forbids us to co-sign the document, we must participate to the
writing on the parts related to Free Software. This is work in
Contacts Free Software organizations
Loic established contacts with Free Software organizations in
Frédéric says that we must work to get closer to LUGs that
want to become GLUGs and Free Software organizations that
already cam to us (Nice, Toulouse, Strasbourg, Montpellier).
Loic says that most of them cannot be associated to FSF Europe
yet because their content does not exactly match the philosophy
even though they are close. Refusing this association is a hostile
attitude, we must work with them on events and content that better
match the philosophy and the strategy of FSF Europe. That requires
a lot of work but needs to be done.
The topics mentioned below were shortly discussed and we
did not have the energy to write down what was said.
- Ministry of Culture: ?
- Sebastien : zelig conf this year ?
- Frédéric : changing the president of APRIL ?
- Olivier : Linux Expo 2002
- Frédéric : official name of FSF France
- Sebastien : Patents
- Sebastien : SDLs
- Frédéric : reunion Elysée, postponed in September
- Frédéric : business cards FSF France / APRIL
- Frédéric : ambassador FSF Europe (Sbi, Pierre Jarillon), generic business card
- Olivier : Goodies t-shirts, mugs etc.
- Sebastien : changing logo, use LinuxGraphic
- Frédéric : INJEP courses
- Frédéric : Libre en Fête
- Frédéric : Accounting
- Frédéric : Charitable status, taken over by Cyril et Noémie
- Frédéric : public interest declaration to the administration
- Olivier : Free Software part of the protected resources of humanity
- Frédéric : National day of Free Software 27 Sept, RMS is ok
- Olivier : registering Free Software by BNF (national library)
- Frédéric : install a shared calendar APRIL/FSF France, and shared ChangeLog
- Olivier : project to manage members
- Olivier : booth GNU at Linux Expo
- Olivier : newsletter of Free Software
- Frédéric : contact with ADIT, ARTESI
- Frédéric : pay back OCS
- Frédéric : handle the report of Linux Expo
- Frédéric : Howto actions involving people and organizations
- Sebastien : Checkpoint on T-shirts
- Sbi : Campaign about the new Debian at the same time as XP, to check
- Frédéric : announce for pour the 5 years of APRIL
- Frédéric : meeting with Philippe Carpentier for more interactions
- Frédéric : Bego
- Frédéric : Meeting only on patents
- Frédéric : Autour du Libre 2002
- Frédéric : Official launch of FSF France, with
invitations to journalists and companies. Will also be an
opportunity to establish direct contact for FSF Europe
donations. 27 September or 16 October at La
- Olivier : project translation GPL, summarize on the
copyright/contrat problem that was raised during the LSM.